Monday, October 6, 2008

Saturday Afternoon Movies


I watched the movie “Drive Me Crazy” with my lovely girlfriend Adrienne this weekend. If you don’t remember “Drive Me Crazy” allow me to give you a brief rundown…

“Drive Me Crazy” is a movie that was named specifically for a Brittney Spears song. It stars Melissa Joan Hart and Adrien Grenier as high-school students and next door neighbors. They are both dumped, I think, by their significant others and decide to pretend date to get their exes jealous.

Here’s the rub, Melissa Joan Hart is super preppy and popular while Grenier is edgy and nonconformist, you can figure this out because he likes the Donnas, or the Electrocutes as they’re known in the movie.

Obviously they fall in love at the end. It’s a really bad movie, but there are two things about it I’d like to discuss.

First there is an exchange between Adrien Grenier and his ex, played by Ali Larter that I really loved. They meet up at this club where Grenier has shown up with Melissa Joan Hart. It’s a totally non-conformist rock club, you can figure this out because the Donnas are playing there, or the Electrocutes as they’re known in the movie. Anyway, Ali Larter is there with a new dude who is like totes all over her and Grenier says “I didn’t expect you to fall in love.” And Ali Larter responds, “Yeah well I didn’t expect you to fall into the Gap.”

Ha! Because Melissa Joan Hart is totally preppy and all school spirit, you know.

It was awesome. The people who made this movie knew full well that it’s shelf life was so short that they didn’t even bat an eye putting in a pop culture reference that would be dated the next year.

I loved it.

Moving on.

At the end Melissa Joan Hart and Adrien Grenier fall in love and laugh and dance, but they find out that their parents are also in love and that they’re moving in together.

I thought that was a weird twist. It happens in the last second and really didn’t seem to need it. I just kept going over different scenarios. Like, would this help them to have a lot of sex or hinder them. Would they play it cool or just fuck all the time. Further, they are now going to be step brother and step sister, presumably (though it never is stated that the parents are marrying, but if they’re moving in it’s implied) which is totally weird, especially considering they’re only seniors in high school which means they are definitely going to break up. Without a doubt. But they’re still going to have to live life as step brother and step sister. How awkward is that gonna be?

I want to write the sequel. Bad.

I don’t think there is a market for it though.

After “Drive Me Crazy”, we watched “Wrath of Khan.” It was better.

1 comment:

Blanket said...

As you know this is my kind of movie and is one of my favorites. I've seen it at least 6 or 7 times. Some parts i love / make me uncomfortable:
At the end when she says "who are we making jealous now?" and he says "everyone nicole, everyone." Swoon! And also the subplot romance between designated dave and daughter judy. so great. I really need to find a boyfriend who will watch this kind of movie with me...